Thursday, July 15, 2010

Today's Project - Front Closet Organization

This summer has been the most relaxed one in recent memory, and certainly our most relaxed as a couple. Neither one of us is "working" on a daily basis or taking any kind of class. So, it's been a lot of quality time together, lots of TV watching and becoming Texas Rangers fans, and the occasional little project around the apartment.
Andrew really got the ball rolling when I went to Atlanta on church youth choir tour at the end of June. While I was gone, anytime I called him he claimed to be doing "not much"... but when I came home, he had done a lot in the way of cleaning, organizing, and even decorating our apartment. As you may remember from this time last year (and if you don't, it's a mere two or three blog posts ago, so it's very easy to catch up) we moved to the apartment in the midst of some other family turbulence.
Namely, Andrew's grandmother passed away and we were at the memorial service in Joplin, Missouri on the day that was planned to be our moving day. So, my parents are actually the ones that moved us in.
Shortly after, we both started school and we never really had a chance to "move in" and feel at home. So this June, Andrew took the bull by the horns and made our apartment our home.
Since then, I've had the occasional little project I've tried to do to further our progress. Today's project involved the small closet in our entryway. Up until this point, this closet has not been used really, except if we were on a mad cleaning spree because someone was coming over. Then, we would hang up a few coats, and toss other miscellaneous stuff in the bottom of the closet (shoes, bags, etc.)
See "before" pictures:
We also have a problem in that I have a tendency to walk in the apartment and drop everything - purse, shoes, whatever - right on the floor. So, next thing you know you've got a giant pile of Terri greeting you when you walk in the door.
A visual:
So, we decided to try to make the closet a little more user friendly, using a 6-compartment sweater hanger from The Container Store. We hung that up in the front closet and are now using it for purses and shoes that are in my current rotation, as well as some of Andrew's hats and things of that nature. We took our hangers that aren't being used, pared it down to just a couple of coats (it's Texas, it's not like we really need a lot of outerwear), and used the vertical space above for storage of our small cooler and our picnic basket. Ta-da! Beautiful closet! Also, I didn't take an "after" picture of the Terri Pile... because there IS no Terri Pile! Hip hip hooray!
So, needless to say, I'm terribly proud of myself.

Outside of that, we didn't do too much today. Next project on my agenda will be organizing the portion of our closet that's devoted to my Scentsy business, since my husband was sweet enough to give me a big chunk of his office closet for that purpose.
But for now, it's all about watching the Rangers game. Go Rangers!

No comments: