Friday, July 23, 2010

Bits and Pieces of News

Hello all, whoever you are.

Things have been pretty good these last couple of days. I've continued on my quest to jump-start my weight loss, drinking lots of water, exercising, tracking my WW points, and sticking to my promise NOT to weigh myself prior to next week's WW meeting.

I actually missed a day of exercise yesterday - I skipped hitting the treadmill in the morning, thinking I would come back to it sometime later in the day, and next thing you know it's bedtime.

So, lesson learned, I got up this morning and headed straight to the fitness center, did not pass go, did not collect $200. Also didn't eat breakfast. I only did about 30 minutes on the treadmill, knowing that I was a little short on time... so I decided to really kick my own butt. I jogged most of the time at 4.0, with a couple of intervals at 5.0.

I came back home, had another glass of water (my third of the day already), took my morning vitamins and headed for the shower. I hadn't even gotten my hair wet yet when the nausea kicked in. I hopped back out of the shower and involuntarily purged.... a whole bunch of water. Yeesh. So, I'm not sure whether to blame it on the exercise itself, the empty stomach, an excessive amount of water consumption, or the vitamins (which occasionally make me nauseous, but not usually so instantly)... but I'm betting on empty stomach. So, tomorrow and from now on I'll be making sure to grab something, anything before my morning workout.

On a non-fitness-related front, Andrew and I are now on the hunt for a used car. Andrew has been driving a 1994 Toyota Camry, which now has over 200,000 miles and multiple windows that need to be secured by tape. In the last couple of months, we've had to put some cash into this car to keep it alive, including a memorable incident in which Andrew broke down in Denton with smoke coming from the hood. That was at the beginning of June. A few hundred dollars later, we were back on the road. A couple of days ago, the Service Engine light came on again. Ugh.

This car has a Blue Book value of $725. At this point, we're not putting any more money into it. We're done.

Now, we are NOT interested in going out and buying a new car. In fact, we're hoping to stay more in the neighborhood of $2500 if possible. The car doesn't need to go far, really. Andrew drives about 8 miles round trip each day that he has class, getting to the light rail station and back. Once a week he drives to Dallas. That's about it.

So, I post all this to say that if (a) you or someone you love has a car for sale that fits the bill or (b) you would like to share your used car buying tips, we would love to hear from you. Tomorrow we're planning to spend at least some portion of the afternoon on the hunt, so think happy thoughts for us!

No comments: