Sunday, January 1, 2012

New Year, New.... what?

Welcome to 2012, everybody. I heard a lot of news stories over the last few days that said that many people saw 2011 as a "bad year" overall and were more than ready to move on. Obviously, 2011 was a pretty great year for us: James was born, Andrew graduated from SMU. My parents' (temporary) move down here has allowed for a type of family togetherness that we haven't previously had. It's fun seeing my parents get to know my husband a little better, and of course having two sets of grandparents around is one of the biggest blessings we could ask for. Can't complain.
2012... well, what will 2012 bring?
Our hope is that Andrew will be accepted into a PhD program at SMU this year, starting in the fall.
My secret hope is that we'll move this summer to a slightly bigger, albeit still rented, place. I've been scoping out rentals every few weeks to get an idea of what's out there. Once we know what Andrew is doing in the fall, I'll hit that search full force.
As much as I joke about wanting to be a SAHM (stay at home mom for those not entirely down with mommy message board lingo), I know that teaching is the best thing for me right now. So, I'll wrap up Year Three at my current school and begin my tenth year of teaching. Ten years. Do I get a gold watch or something?
And of course, like many people, I'm starting (I swear!) to get serious about weight loss. I got down to right around 165 when I did the Big Weight Loss of 2010... and then of course I got pregnant and gained it all back... lost quite a bit of it the obvious way, but by no means all. I currently sit right about 20 pounds up, 186 to be exact.
The problem, to be totally honest, is that in 2010 I very much had the goal of getting healthier and losing weight for the specific purpose of preparing to carry a child. And, not gonna lie, that's not really on my radar right now. We're not planning on that again for a few years. So, even though I technically re-started Weight Watchers nearly four months ago, I really haven't made any progress to speak of. I'm in the process of trying to figure out what I'm going to do to motivate myself... because it's NOT going to be having two kids under two years old. Sorry, Mom.
I know what to do to lose weight, clearly. In 2010 I was tracking everything I ate, drinking water, eating lots of fruits and veggies, smaller portions, a fair amount of "diet food" or Weight Watchers products like frozen dinners. Brown rice. Yogurt. Whole wheat you-name-it.
Right now, when the going gets tough, this girl has another glass of milk and a couple of oreos. Or possibly a couple of sleeves of oreos.
So, today I'm starting small with a For Today goal of tracking and drinking water. For Today, I will choose water. For Today, I will track my eating. For Today. I can handle today. Don't talk to me about the whole year right now.

1 comment:

Mary said...

yea, i have that last 2o lbs to lose too. It is good to take it one day at a time.