Monday, January 2, 2012

For Today...

The One Day at a Time Plan is going fairly well so far. I have tracked for two days now (for those of you unfamiliar with WeightWatchers lingo, this just means that I've written down and counted points for everything I ate). This does not necessarily mean I've made 100% great choices, but for me, I find that tracking keeps me from snacking between meals or other mindless eating. No swinging by the office for a little piece of chocolate, that sort of thing. I have also chosen water more frequently than not, and those were my two goals so far.
Unfortunately, I'll not be able to go to my regular WW meeting this Saturday, so I need to make a plan for when to go to a meeting earlier in the week.

In other news, I returned to work today and missed my Little Man a lot. It was really nice being with him 24/7 for the last two weeks. Also, now that he's STTN (sleeping through the night... man, you people have GOT to get down with my lingo!) I really don't get to see much of him on workdays. He woke up at about 7:30 this morning, and I'm supposed to be at work at 8 (if not sooner). We got home with him at about 6pm (Andrew and I had to run a "quick" Denton errand after school) and he was down for the night shortly after 7. I think I may go in to his room and stare at him while he sleeps for a bit.

I made a couple of important pro-family decisions today. Since 2005, I have had an after school "pop choir" as a part of my choir program. Some years/schools I have had two! This year, I will have none. I had already decided to postpone the creation of any such group until January if I was going to do it at all this year... and today I decided it's not worth it to me. If there is an opportunity where I need a group of that type for a special performance, I'll figure something out for a One Time Only performance... but I'm not giving up an hour a week every week.
In the same vein, I have had for many many years a spring semester only Sixth Grade Honor Choir: an invitational group for my sixth graders that I really really like a lot and think are ready for a "challenge". Not this year. Here's hoping I'm just being a good teacher and finding ways to challenge those kiddos in the context of their regular choir class, and again, I don't need to give up an extra hour of my family time each week to do it.

So, boom. I continue to enjoy running a successful choir program that has absolutely no regularly recurring after school components. Love it.

No comments: